Rose Villas was built, according to the plaque, in 1892.
The above picture is when 1, Rose Villas was the Post Office. We have no date but it is before the side extension was built to house the Post Office. The sale notice below is dated January 1947 and describes the extension as 'a very useful addition' and 'formerly used as the Post Office'.
Also notice that there was no mains water, the 'nearby Village water pump' was found on the triangle of grass at the top of Fell Road/Moart Road/The Street. The concrete slab marks the site of the pump and is clearly visible today.
The following comes from 'Birdbrook with Sturmer Parish News' July 1968:
Funeral of Mrs. Bennett
This is a name that will mean nothing to most of you, even when it is explained that Mrs. Bennett was formerly Mrs. Mann and, before that Miss Mary Eliza Stubbings of Brooklyn in Birdbrook Street. Her first husband, Mr. Robert Mann, died as long ago as 1913 and the deanery magazine of this time had in it a little note on his early death; thus:- "All of us sympathise with Mrs. Mann in the loss of her husband, and with Mr. and Mrs. Stubbings in the loss of their son-in-law. It was long known that he could not recover from the malady from which he suffered, but a parting is not less bitter because it is expected."
There are a few people still about who remember Mr. Enoch Stubbings living in the house he had built in Birdbrook and they were probably not surprised that his daughter should be brought from Saffron Walden for burial here. She was 88 years old.
Mrs. Hunt standing at her garden gate in the late 1950's when it was still two cottages. Picture thanks to David James.
David James's grandmother had owned all three cottages but when this picture was taken in 1958 he thinks she had sold the one nearest the road.
1961 and David James first car, a Renault D, with rear view of Prospect Place in the backgound.
Scruby's Yard was demolished shortly after this picture was taken in 1961/1962 to make way for Mrs. Jower's shop. The gentleman is Mr. William (Billy) Ager who lived at 2, Prospect Place. Mr & Mrs Scruby lived in Moorhen Cottage with their four children Vic, Tom, Joan and Jean. Picture David James.
Taken from Haverhill Echo October 9th, 1942. Thanks go to David James for the cutting.
This thatched building being demolished we believe was once behind Ivy Cottage you can just make out the wagon loaded with thatch. The Two Cottage roofs that can be seen I think are Brook Cottage and Wavey Cottage. The picture is from Jackie Browne's collection so presume date around 1930's. Can anyone remember it? We have had a suggestion that it might have been the old forge.
The Old Rectory
The Parsonage is known today as The Old Rectory. Sometime between 1791 and 1800 the old house was demolished and the new one built.