Stained Glass of St. Augustine
The following cutting was given to us by Mary Sare and has a date of 1961 but no scource presume Haverhill Echo.
Dedication of Birdbrook Church Window
During Sunday morning service at Birdbrook there was dedicated in St. Augustine's Church a beautiful window in the memory of Mrs. Edith Clara Young, widow of Dr. A. Young rector of Birdbrook from 1910-1940. It will be recalled that Mrs. Young, who died in 1958, was a subsantial benefactress of the parish.
The service was conducted by the rector the Rev. F. Cordingly while the dedication was in the hands of Canon C.D. moule, Lady Margaret, Professor of Divinity, Cambridge, and a fellow of Dr. Young's Old College, Clare. Canon moule called attention to the striking design of the E. window and the mesage its three lights convey. The two outer ones bear the emblems of the four Evangelists, while the central light has three representations of events in our Lord's life as told by these Evangelists in the Gospels. At the foot of the window is a fairly small virgin and child, then higher up a slightly larger crucifixion; finally, dominating the whole, a brilliantly coloured figure of the risen Lord in Glory.
The choir who sang beautifully throughout led the Congregation in hymns meant to emphasise the message of the window. These were "Behold the Messengers of Christ" a hymn about the Evangelists and their work, "O Come all ye faithful," meant to call attention to the Virgin and Child. "When I survey the wonderous Cross," sung because of the Crucifix in the very centre of the window, and finally, "The Head that once was crowned with Thorns," the triumphant outcome.
Miss Leach was at the organ for the hymns and psalm, while the choir also sang unaccompanied Farrant's well known little anthem, "Lord for they tenter Mercy's sake." A large congregation included relatives and friends of the late Dr. and Mrs. Young and a few former parishioners also made a point of attending - among those present were the Misses Glynn of Hemmingford Grey, Mr. Roger Edmonds of Jesus college, and Mrs. Rambault of Clare, Suffolk. Mrs. Dunnery and her son Dr. O. Dunnery, found it impossible to attend.
The window, which was justly admired by all who saw it,shone brilliantly in the warm morning sunshine adding greatly to the beauty of the church which had been decorated with autumn flowers for the occasion.
The artist was Mr. E. Liddell Armitage, who was unfortunately unable to be present, and the work was carried out by the Whitefrairs glass studios of Wealdstone, who several years ago supplies the memorial windo to Dr. Young.
Mr. George Unwin's Window
The following article comes from the Daily Telegraph, Monday, July 18, 1966.
The two wands of office and church book.
The old National School.
Bruno the springer spaniel.
The "Church Box".
Below is the beautiful window and plaques commemorating Mr. Unwin's achievements. Take a look next time you are in the church.
For sixty five years he gets a window and for seventy years he only got a plaque!